HomeHome  BabyTalk ExtraBabyTalk Extra  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Milk

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
skorpy
******
******
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 1789
Age : 44
Registration date : 2006-08-08

PostSubject: Milk   Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:03 am

Hi all

My turn to ask a question.
Has anyone had any trouble with getting their child off formular milk and onto normal milk.

Kai is 1 in a few weeks. I have decided to try him on normal cows milk..but he is the only baby I have come across that does not like it. I have tried him on it both warmed up and straight from the fridge.He pulls a face and wont drink it.
I keep trying him everyday with it and there is no change.

I am not sure what to do as he needs his daily intake of milk. I give him his breakfast of either toast...weetabix or porridge when we get up in morning in the place of his milk..but he misses his formular milk. But I don't want to put him back on it.

Anyone else had this trouble?

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://babytalk.megabb.com
Rebecca-Jayne
******
******


Female
Number of posts : 2050
Age : 32
Localisation : Coventry, UK
Registration date : 2006-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Milk   Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:03 am

Hi Skorpy.

Aiden loved cows milk and went straight on it.

I found this, maybe it will help :)

Some toddlers greedily gulp whole cow's milk right off the bat. But because milk has a different texture, taste, and even temperature than breast milk or formula, some kids are hesitant to make the switch. If that's the case for your toddler, try mixing whole milk with some breast milk or formula at first (say, one part whole milk and three parts of his usual stuff). Then slowly shift the ratio until he's drinking 100 percent whole milk.

You might also try giving him just a little bit of whole milk at a time a few tablespoons as a treat until he asks for more. Or mix it with some cereal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skorpy
******
******
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 1789
Age : 44
Registration date : 2006-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Milk   Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:30 am

My hubby is hesitant for me to give Kai whole milk..says because we all use semi skimmed,he should get into the habbit of drinking it too,to save us buying two different milks.

But I was not keen on the idea and feel he should drink whole milk. I tried him on it and he is the same on both milks...don't like it.
I will try and introduce it gradually though with adding it in his breakfast.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://babytalk.megabb.com
leighann
Grown-up
Grown-up
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 597
Age : 30
Localisation : uk / eastbourne
Registration date : 2007-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Milk   Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:42 am

hi skorpy when i first tried alfie on milk i only had green milk he loved it but now i buy green for me and paul and blue milk for him but wen he runs out of blue i give him green he loves both it was easy getting him on it he took it straight away at first i gave him half mike and half boiled water now he just has it from fridge i warm it up for few seconds just to take chill of it i dont warm it i just take chill off he loves it and wen his teeth hert i just give it him from the fridge coz its nice and cold
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skorpy
******
******
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 1789
Age : 44
Registration date : 2006-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Milk   Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:18 am

Thanks Leighann

And thanks becky....
I tried the mixing his formular and semi skimmed milk this morning ... 5 ounces of formular and 3 ounces semi skimmed,and he guzzled it. Trying to get him onto semi skimmed so we don't have too buy 2 different milks.

All is fine so far.Think it would be safe to do 4 ounce of each for tomorrow the way he guzzled it this morning,then after a week,I will add more milk and less formular.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://babytalk.megabb.com
loudun
Elder
Elder
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 1238
Age : 37
Registration date : 2007-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Milk   Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:43 am

Duncan never really liked cows milk neither, i tryed to take him of formular before going on holiday to scotland and he didn't really like it so i mixed witrh his breakfast and that was fine, but as swiss milk and scottish milk is different, he stopped drinking and eating milk when i went to scotland on holiday, so i just took him of milk altogther. (he was just 11 months) i started giving him joghurt and now he only eats his ceral with joghurt (wierd boy i know) but he has never missed out because he didn't have milk, he eats about 2 joghurts a day and cheese now....

I even tryed chocolate powder in his milk so he would take it but it's just since a few months that he drinks this now and he's nearly 4.....so my personal view is don't worry...you can get the goodness from othe sourse other than milk....xxx

Good luck
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skorpy
******
******
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 1789
Age : 44
Registration date : 2006-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Milk   Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:12 am

loudun wrote:
Duncan never really liked cows milk neither, i tryed to take him of formular before going on holiday to scotland and he didn't really like it so i mixed witrh his breakfast and that was fine, but as swiss milk and scottish milk is different, he stopped drinking and eating milk when i went to scotland on holiday, so i just took him of milk altogther. (he was just 11 months) i started giving him joghurt and now he only eats his ceral with joghurt (wierd boy i know) but he has never missed out because he didn't have milk, he eats about 2 joghurts a day and cheese now....

I even tryed chocolate powder in his milk so he would take it but it's just since a few months that he drinks this now and he's nearly 4.....so my personal view is don't worry...you can get the goodness from othe sourse other than milk....xxx

Good luck

very true. Kai loves cheese sandwhiches and yogurt.
Although he is drinking milk in with formular,so hopefully I can ween him onto normal milk.But if he doesn't,then like you said He will have to have normal foods without actual milk early.

His dad hates plain milk.so he may take after him.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://babytalk.megabb.com
leighann
Grown-up
Grown-up
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 597
Age : 30
Localisation : uk / eastbourne
Registration date : 2007-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Milk   Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:40 pm

skorpy what ever u find works hope he goes on normaly milk good luck keep us posted..


Last edited by on Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chryssa
Toddler
Toddler
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 75
Age : 40
Registration date : 2007-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Milk   Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:29 am

skorpy wrote:
My hubby is hesitant for me to give Kai whole milk..says because we all use semi skimmed,he should get into the habbit of drinking it too,to save us buying two different milks.

But I was not keen on the idea and feel he should drink whole milk. I tried him on it and he is the same on both milks...don't like it.
I will try and introduce it gradually though with adding it in his breakfast.

My HV told me he needs full fat milk and produce, not the semi-skimmed kind.. I think they need the fat for brain development or something!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rebecca-Jayne
******
******


Female
Number of posts : 2050
Age : 32
Localisation : Coventry, UK
Registration date : 2006-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Milk   Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:31 am

You know Skorpy its strange you should say that about Kai being like his dad.

Over the past two weeks, Aiden has started complaing about butter in his sandwhiches, saying that he doesnt want them etc. So I tried it without butter and he eats them fine. Now his Dad hates butter too. lol Also, Aiden doesnt touch plain milk and hasnt done since he started pre school. Says he doesnt like it, his dad cant stand plain milk either.

I guess Aiden will be like his dad too!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skorpy
******
******
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 1789
Age : 44
Registration date : 2006-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Milk   Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:39 am

chryssa wrote:
skorpy wrote:
My hubby is hesitant for me to give Kai whole milk..says because we all use semi skimmed,he should get into the habbit of drinking it too,to save us buying two different milks.

But I was not keen on the idea and feel he should drink whole milk. I tried him on it and he is the same on both milks...don't like it.
I will try and introduce it gradually though with adding it in his breakfast.

My HV told me he needs full fat milk and produce, not the semi-skimmed kind.. I think they need the fat for brain development or something!

He wont touch full fat.. But I am just getting him into drinking semi skimmed with his formular. Although I know full fat is best, but I can't get him to touch it. I did ask my Health visitor yesterday and she said as long as he is drinking milk..second best is better then nothing.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://babytalk.megabb.com
chryssa
Toddler
Toddler
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 75
Age : 40
Registration date : 2007-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Milk   Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:22 am

Of course second best is better than nothing! And you could always give him other full-fat dairy products... How long has it been since you have been trying to get him to cow's milk? Efe was a bit fussy at first, but now he drinks any kind of fresh milk!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leighann
Grown-up
Grown-up
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 597
Age : 30
Localisation : uk / eastbourne
Registration date : 2007-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Milk   Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:40 am

alfie cant get enough of milk he loves it aso much
Back to top Go down
View user profile
karla
Infant
Infant
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 54
Age : 31
Localisation : UK / Eastbourne
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Milk   Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:42 am

alisha loves cows milk i normally give to her at bed time
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skorpy
******
******
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 1789
Age : 44
Registration date : 2006-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Milk   Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:22 am

chryssa wrote:
Of course second best is better than nothing! And you could always give him other full-fat dairy products... How long has it been since you have been trying to get him to cow's milk? Efe was a bit fussy at first, but now he drinks any kind of fresh milk!

Only for couple of weeks...but everyday.

As his dd don't like milk,I am assuming he won't.But I shouldn't think that way really because he could just be another fussy child who make take a little more time to get used to the new texture and flavour

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://babytalk.megabb.com
debee
Toddler
Toddler
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 133
Age : 45
Registration date : 2007-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Milk   Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:23 am

how old do they have to be when you put em on normal milk

thanx debxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skorpy
******
******
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 1789
Age : 44
Registration date : 2006-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Milk   Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:46 pm

debee wrote:
how old do they have to be when you put em on normal milk

thanx debxx

It is recommended from 1 years old

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://babytalk.megabb.com
saraho
*********
*********
avatar

Female
Number of posts : 980
Age : 45
Localisation : birmingham, uk
Registration date : 2007-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Milk   Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:01 pm

yeah they say 1 yr old now ...but it used to be about 6 mths

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Milk   

Back to top Go down
 
Milk
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» milk to share
» 700+ oz Milk available for donation NM (90 miles north of El Paso TX)
» Jan 12-22 Norweigan Cruise - milk to be available
» Need Dairy Free Milk in Katy, TX (Houston)
» Need milk in KC

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Bringing up Baby :: Breastfeeding,Bottlefeeding & Solids-
Jump to: