HomeHome  BabyTalk ExtraBabyTalk Extra  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Breast feeding

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
debbie Odell
child
child

Female
Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2007-01-11

PostSubject: Breast feeding   Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:17 pm

I am still a prego and am really considering breast feeding and was wondering if you could give me any hints on the idea because everyone that I have talked to so far have told me that I probably wont stick with it and its hard and it hurts alot!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kellytimestwo
child
child

Female
Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2006-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Breast feeding   Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:51 pm

The main thing I can say is to read, read, read as much as you can before you have the baby. Another great forum is the La Leche League. They have tons of information on there about breastfeeding. It does feel awkward and hurt a little in the beginning, but with a little patience you will be a pro in no time. I had a couple of friends I could talk to that bf, but the majority of other people around looked at me a little crazy b/c I wanted to. It was like I was doing something they have never heard of before! If you set your mind to it that that is what you want to do, please don't let anyone discourage you. From all of the research I've seen, it is the best thing for your baby. I have been exclusively breastfeeding my daughter for a little over four months. She has only spit up a couple of times and it was very little. Her bowel movements do not stink. She rarely has an upset tummy. Sometimes if you eat something that doesn't agree with baby they may get gas, but my little one has not problem getting it out (little toot!)

I could ramble on and on, but I think you can see I am totally for breastfeeding. There are some circumstances where the baby will have a hard time latching on or a number of other things, but I would certainly give it a try. It may take a couple of weeks to get the hang of it. The most important thing is to educate yourself beforehand so you know what to expect & breastfeed as soon as possible after the baby is born. If you are shy like I was, politely ask family to step outside while you feed your baby. Hopefully they will see you are serious about wanting to do this and will support you. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will do my best to help.:goodluck:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Janey
child
child

Female
Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2007-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Breast feeding   Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:40 pm

I can't really add more than what Kelly has said Debbie, but all I would add is "Just relax" when feeding.. If you get uptight or nervous, baby will pick up on it. Breastfeeding is the most natural thing in the world and the bond you create with your baby is out of this world.
The trick is to get baby on the breast as soon as you can after the birth xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.slimmingworldsupport.editboard.com
debbie Odell
child
child

Female

PostSubject: Re: Breast feeding   Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:39 pm

Thats one thing I am having problems with is finding reading material besides the magazines and little brochures that the doc gives me when i come to the library I have no idea what to look for did yall read any good books durring your pregnancy?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ww1975
Toddler
Toddler

Female
Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Breast feeding   Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:46 pm

I didn't really read any books so can't help ypu there, but i just wanted to say that my little boy is 7 weeks old and i'm bf him. I wont lie and say it has been easy because i nearly gave up a few times.

What I found really helped was a breast feeding workshop which was recommended by my hv. The women there really gave me the strength to carry on with it as we were all in the same position its amazing that knowing you are not the only one having a bad time can do.

Like i said Benjamin is now 7 weeks and we have now just about got it right and he is gaining weight steadily. I am so glad i stuck with it through the bad patches.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
debbie Odell
child
child

Female

PostSubject: Re: Breast feeding   Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:50 pm

I am defianetly going to try but I dont want to jynx myself and say I am going to stick with it. I defianetly want to though I have heard so much great stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Janey
child
child

Female

PostSubject: Re: Breast feeding   Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:39 pm

In my opinion There's no harm in trying, but if you decide its not for you, then you musn't feel guilty. I fed my daughter against her will for 6 months before finally throwing the towel in.. In the end I resented her and ended up with Postnatal depression. I have a lovely relationship with her now of course..hehe
Now with my youngest daughter, she took to the breast like a duck to water which was fantastic! I did tell myself however that if she didn't take to it, I wasn't going to get myself worked up and start feeling guilty this time.
Back to top Go down
debbie Odell
child
child

Female

PostSubject: Re: Breast feeding   Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:04 pm

Thats good... I can't say I would beat myself up if it doesnt work. I am doing my best not to get my hopes up for this or anything else for that matter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
uksammy
Pensioner
Pensioner

Female
Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2006-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Breast feeding   Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:21 am

I only breast fed for 4 months as I found it really hard as I didn't like to do it infront of people...at first I thought why should I be bothered what other people think but my partners family annoyed me by making me go upstairs to feed her and I never had the confidence to do it in public as I didnt want to offend anyone! So at 4 months we we're moving and decorating and I found it a chore to express so thought well thats 4 months better than nothing and think that 4 months did benefit her a lot.

So I am planning to breastfeed this baby but don't know for how long.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/uksammy
Janey
child
child

Female

PostSubject: Re: Breast feeding   Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:56 pm

Yes breast feeding in front of family members, friends and in general public can be a little un-nerving I have to say. I always found it difficult when my husband had his friends round in an evening. I'd be scrambling for a blanket to cover baby and my boob, and I was always having to make sure the poor little lamb could still breathe.
In the end I just started getting my boob out and not covering myself..My husbands friends soon scarpered into the kitchen.. Like I used to shout at them.."It's my house and my baby needs feeding, if you don't like it you can sod off out" lol!
Back to top Go down
kellytimestwo
child
child

Female
Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2006-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Breast feeding   Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:34 pm

::lmao:: Gracie is 4 1/2 months now and I still find it difficult at times, but for the most part I think it has gotten easier. The difficult time is when people are around. I can't seem to pop it out in front of anybody except my sister...poor thing. It's not for everyone though.
Have you been able to get on the La Leche League website? There is so much info on there. They make reference to another site called Kelly Mom. That should make for some good reading. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rebecca-Jayne

Female
Number of posts : 2050
Registration date : 2006-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Breast feeding   Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:29 am

::lmao:: Janey. I done the same! I used to wap em out infront of the family, i didnt care lolol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Janey
child
child

Female

PostSubject: Re: Breast feeding   Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:18 am

Well it's a perfectly natural thing to do in my opinion.. Breat feeding that is, not just wapping your boobs out for fun of course lol!
Back to top Go down
ww1975
Toddler
Toddler

Female
Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2006-10-26

PostSubject: Re: Breast feeding   Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:25 am

I have no proiblem bf in front of close friends and family and everyone has accepted it without comment.

What i do have trouble with is doing it in front of people i dont know as well. I know its daft but i hate confrontation and i dont know what i would do or say if someone said anything negatve about it.

If i am out and about i take a bottle of expressed milk.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rebecca-Jayne

Female

PostSubject: Re: Breast feeding   Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:14 am

lol just squirt them in the eye ::lmao::
Back to top Go down
View user profile
uksammy
Pensioner
Pensioner

Female

PostSubject: Re: Breast feeding   Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:22 pm

Too Funny Beckie ha ha
Back to top Go down
Rebecca-Jayne

Female

PostSubject: Re: Breast feeding   Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:35 am

Jump
Back to top Go down
View user profile
debbie Odell
child
child

Female

PostSubject: Re: Breast feeding   Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:57 pm

My aunt actually squirted my cousin for making fun of her while she was breastfeeding but i guess that is exceptional it being her kid and all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rebecca-Jayne

Female

PostSubject: Re: Breast feeding   Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:58 am

::lmao:: Good job he didnt have his mouth open.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
debbie Odell
child
child

Female

PostSubject: Re: Breast feeding   Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:39 pm

Nope his mouth wasnt open but he didnt like it....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Janey
child
child

Female

PostSubject: Re: Breast feeding   Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:29 pm

B3ckie wrote:
lol just squirt them in the eye ::lmao::

You nutter Jump

When I had my first daughter, as I've said before I turned into Lola.. I could wake up in a morning and if I took my bra off, i would literally get about 20 jets of milk shooting out across the room at full pressure Too Funny
Back to top Go down
Rebecca-Jayne

Female

PostSubject: Re: Breast feeding   Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:53 am

hahahaaa Too Funny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
uksammy
Pensioner
Pensioner

Female

PostSubject: Re: Breast feeding   Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:48 am

God yeah I had to use a muslin to cover my boobs up cos they'd squirt so far! Were they not as leaky with ur other children then Janey? When Kerrie finished drinking she often got a facefull of milk co it was still gushing out! ::lmao::
Back to top Go down
loudun
Elder
Elder

Female
Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Breast feeding   Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:40 am

Oh i wish i could have breastfed, but i have inverted nipples and my boy couldn't latch so i expressed milk (felt like a cow) for 6 weeks until everyone around me told me to stop as i was ground down, i wish i had expressed for longer and had a guilty conscents but hey he's healthy and i got over the depression of it so it's fine, i will try harder next time as i would do be able to do it....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
debbie Odell
child
child

Female

PostSubject: Re: Breast feeding   Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:40 am

I hope I get to breast feed I am defiantely going to try my best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breast feeding   

Back to top Go down

Breast feeding
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Bringing up Baby :: Breastfeeding,Bottlefeeding & Solids-
Jump to: