HomeHome  BabyTalk ExtraBabyTalk Extra  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Solids & breastfeeding

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kellytimestwo
child
child

Female
Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2006-11-22

PostSubject: Solids & breastfeeding   Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:57 pm

My daughter just turned 6 months old on the 20th of March. I am breast feeding and started introducing solids about 3 weeks ago. I tried rice cereal mixed with breast milk and offered it on a spoon and she wouldn't take it. On different days I tried some jar baby foods, sweet potatoe, squash, carrots and then I tried pears thinking she would eat something sweet...well, that mad her gag so bad she threw up a little. When I try to feed her, she doesn't even want to open her mouth for it. I am able to work the spoon into her mouth a little and she gets a little of the food, but she seems like she doesn't want it. I don't know what to do!! Any suggestions? The pears are the only food she gagged on...the others she just kind of made a face. I don't know if it's the spoon she doesn't like or what. HELP!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skorpy

Female
Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2006-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Solids & breastfeeding   Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:06 pm

Kelly
The best thing to do is keep her on foods with not too much flavour too start of with.This can startle her as she is used to just milk.Baby rice is the next best thing closes too it.She will gag and spit it out at first,all babies do,dont let that put you off,its natural.Just start with a small tea spoon at first and keep introducing it untill she starts to take too it little more each day.

Kai is now eating 3 teaspoon fulls every dinner time.Do this for a couple of months and then you can introduce more different flavours.

child
child

Female
Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2006-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Solids & breastfeeding   Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:24 pm

Yeah, maybe I am offering too many different things. I will keep trying the rice cereal every day for a while and see if she likes it any better. I guess I just expected her to be as excited about solids as I am!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skorpy

Female
Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2006-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Solids & breastfeeding   Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:26 pm

It took Kai a week just over too get used too it.He still wont take any flavour foods. Wink

Female
Number of posts : 2050
Registration date : 2006-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Solids & breastfeeding   Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:29 am

skorpy wrote:
Kelly
The best thing to do is keep her on foods with not too much flavour too start of with.This can startle her as she is used to just milk.Baby rice is the next best thing closes too it.She will gag and spit it out at first,all babies do,dont let that put you off,its natural.Just start with a small tea spoon at first and keep introducing it untill she starts to take too it little more each day.

Totally agree there. The rice is quite bland like milk,so She should take to it easier than new rich flavours hehe. Good luck kelly! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
loudun
Elder
Elder

Female
Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Solids & breastfeeding   Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:45 am

I agree, little but for a while so she can get use to the flavour....don't give up she will get there...they all do...xxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kaytee
Infant
Infant

Female
Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Solids & breastfeeding   Sat May 26, 2007 11:38 am

formula is bland, but breast milk is not. It has a VERY sweet flavor and changes from nurse to nurse, depending on what you eat. Now you shouldn't start with too many things because its best to do one at a time for at least 2 weeks, that way if she has a reaction to something, you will know what it is.
Good first foods for breastfed babies are
advocado
banana
sweet potato
(of course you would milk it down with EBF)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
loudun
Elder
Elder

Female
Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Solids & breastfeeding   Sun May 27, 2007 1:36 am

Advocado never heard of that been given to a baby......learn something new all the time....xxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Solids & breastfeeding   

Back to top Go down

Solids & breastfeeding
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Bringing up Baby :: Breastfeeding,Bottlefeeding & Solids-
Jump to: