HomeHome  BabyTalk ExtraBabyTalk Extra  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Water row

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rebecca-Jayne

Female
Number of posts : 2050
Registration date : 2006-08-09

PostSubject: Water row   Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:59 am

A mum has withdrawn her son from school because he's only allowed to drink water.
Pickering Infant School in North Yorkshire has taken it one step further and has introduced a new drinks policy at the school which means pupils can only sip water during the day.
Children are allowed a drink of parental choice at lunchtime only.
But mum Angela Cowton does not agree with the policy and says her five-year-old boy has only ever drunk orange juice and will not drink water without a splash of cordial.
She says she will be forced to send both her son and daughter to a private school instead.
In a statement, Pickering Infants School said '' Pickering is working within the national healthy schools programme and implementing national guidance on food in schools.''
''The school's policy is to encourage pupils to drink water, as the guidance suggests that children should drink at least six to eight glasses of water every day. Water is considered to be more healthy than alternative drinks.''

What do you guys think on the matter?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skorpy

Female
Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2006-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Water row   Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:10 am

Personally,I think its abit over the top.You can introduce children too drink water without making them.Surely making them will put them off altogther.

Although I love the taste of water and drink it often,some people including children do not like water and needs that extra something to give it flavour.Infact cordial in water is just as healthy,...after all it is mainly water with abit of flavour,silly people

Pensioner
Pensioner

Female
Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2006-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Water row   Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:20 am

skorpy wrote:
Personally,I think its abit over the top.You can introduce children too drink water without making them.Surely making them will put them off altogther.

Although I love the taste of water and drink it often,some people including children do not like water and needs that extra something to give it flavour.Infact cordial in water is just as healthy,...after all it is mainly water with abit of flavour,silly people

I was gonna say the same thing...they still get their water even if their is cordial in it...seems silly to me!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/uksammy
Rebecca-Jayne

Female

PostSubject: Re: Water row   Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:53 am

lol yeah there's nothing wrong with cordial at all. Although I do think the mum is silly to pull her kids out of school because of it. What she gonna teach them, to jump ship every time they cant get their own way?! She's denying her children of an education because of it, stupid woman! Its water for goodness sake, just water!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
adrian
Toddler
Toddler

Male
Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2007-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Water row   Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:21 am

We also would not be happy if a school dictated what our child could drink.

I do stand my ground to the point that the headmaster tends to avoid me, unfortunately i have had to put him right on a few occasions Boxing he always blames the board of governors giving him wrong info ( if in doubt blame someone else ). ::ahh::
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rebecca-Jayne

Female

PostSubject: Re: Water row   Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:30 am

lol..

Well soon it might be standard law for ALL schools (including private) to only allow water and a drink of the puplis own choice at lunch time. When I was at school (which wasnt that long ago Bleh2 ) we were only allowed to drink water in class as the teachers said it stopped us from getting dehydrated and helped us concentrate more. In lunch time and break we could drink what we wanted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skorpy

Female
Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2006-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Water row   Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:32 am

adrian wrote:
We also would not be happy if a school dictated what our child could drink.

I do stand my ground to the point that the headmaster tends to avoid me, unfortunately i have had to put him right on a few occasions Boxing he always blames the board of governors giving him wrong info ( if in doubt blame someone else ). ::ahh::

Good on you,I never put up with nonsense from schools.My son came home yesterday with Tipex on the back of his blazer saying a kid done it while he was working..not happy I tell you.Although its not the schools fault,I still hope it is sorted out properly

Pensioner
Pensioner

Female

PostSubject: Re: Water row   Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:35 am

We were never allowed to drink in class? Only at break and lunch.
Though in infants we had to drink milk which was warm yuk!
Back to top Go down
Rebecca-Jayne

Female

PostSubject: Re: Water row   Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:35 am

Grr some kids now a days! Fancy doing that the little shites!

You see this is why schools should have to start putting their foot down. Some Children these days lack respect. Honestly. I never behaved like that at school, they are just plain mean and ignorant. complain
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rebecca-Jayne

Female

PostSubject: Re: Water row   Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:37 am

uksammy wrote:
We were never allowed to drink in class? Only at break and lunch.
Though in infants we had to drink milk which was warm yuk!

ewww warm milk!

Yes, where I went they encouraged kids to drink water, especially during class.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
uksammy
Pensioner
Pensioner

Female

PostSubject: Re: Water row   Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:39 am

Don't even get me started on respect side of things!!
Maybe its cos im getting older that I notice it more or is it getting worse? Do you blame the parents, or is society getting out of hand!!??
Back to top Go down
Rebecca-Jayne

Female

PostSubject: Re: Water row   Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:19 am

Tell me about it, its getting totally out of hand.

I do think the parents have alot todo with it, but then society doesnt help much either. Kids can get away with murder these days. They can even be abusive to teachers now because they know the teachers cant touch them. I think they learn alot from their parents, if they arent taught how to respect others then how are they going to act? You need to respect others b4 you even think about being respected yourself. If parents arent giving a toss then its no wonder why kids are like they are today.

My brother who is 14 soon. He has spoken to my Mum like poo sometimes, he has even swore at her and told her to F off. I never spoke to my mum like that when I was at home because I would have been battered! I think because he is the only child now at home with mum, she spoils him rotten and treats him differently to how us girls were. He makes mum feel like crap sometimes because of his lack of respect during an arugement, but the next day she willgo out and buy him credit for his phone etc! I really do have a go at my mum because she isnt making him learn. If my son EVER done that to me, he would get grounded for one and have all his nice things taken off him, like his phone and computers etc. Ive told her that he needs to learn that he cant keep getting away with it everytime! Its like she is praising his bad behavour. When really she should be punishing him when he is bad so he learns.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
loudun
Elder
Elder

Female
Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Water row   Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:04 pm

We had to drink milk at school breaks and if we stayed for lunch we got water....if we had packed luncg it was up to our parents what we drunk.....i don't see anything wrong with water.....I think the schools should offer water but those who don't want go without sorry.....

I just don't see why in some countries we have choice of choosing thing and other countries that have nothing we are a very privlage society really....yeah maybe not a very good one but we have everything....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Water row   

Back to top Go down

Water row
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1