HomeHome  BabyTalk ExtraBabyTalk Extra  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Running out of milk?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
uksammy
Pensioner
Pensioner

Female
Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2006-09-01

PostSubject: Running out of milk?   Thu May 17, 2007 4:12 am

Aislyn is 3 weeks old tomorrow and I'm still breastfeeding and want to continue for a good few months.

I've been lucky enough to be able to express and was getting lots which was good so I could stock up for when I go out.

Thing is the last couple of days I haven't been able to express much. My boobs don't seem as full. Am I drying up or am I just supplying enough to feed Aislyn...how can I get more supply? Anyone else had the same? I can't even express enough for one feed throughout the day!?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/uksammy
Rebecca-Jayne

Female
Number of posts : 2050
Registration date : 2006-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Running out of milk?   Thu May 17, 2007 6:53 am

Hey Sammy, I found this. Maybe it will help you.

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/baby/babybreastfeed/8487.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
uksammy
Pensioner
Pensioner

Female

PostSubject: Re: Running out of milk?   Thu May 17, 2007 6:59 am

thats brill...thanks :)
Back to top Go down
Rebecca-Jayne

Female
Number of posts : 2050
Registration date : 2006-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Running out of milk?   Thu May 17, 2007 7:01 am

No problem Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sarah

Female
Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2007-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Running out of milk?   Thu May 17, 2007 7:03 am

Hi

I was expressing milk for Sophie and I quickly dried up after about 3 weeks I was absoultly mortified! I didn't produce a lot of milk as it was 8oz a day so had to top her up with forumla.

I hope it comes back for you hun x

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://chocolatemummys.proboards82.com/index.cgi
kellytimestwo
child
child

Female
Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2006-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Running out of milk?   Sat May 19, 2007 4:00 pm

The more you put your baby to the breast the more you will produce. The pump aren't as efficient as expressing milk as your baby is. From what I have read, if you are only pumping, you will not make as much. My suggestion would be to nurse Aislyn and then pump in between feedings. You may only get a little bit, but within a few days your body will start producing more. Try to avoid giving formula because that will fill her tummy for longer because it takes longer to digest than breastmilk and therefore you will not have the opportunity to nurse her to signal your body to produce more. I hope that made sense.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mumof4girls1boy
Infant
Infant

Female
Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2007-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Running out of milk?   Thu May 24, 2007 1:41 am

Are you expressing everyday or just every so often. As was said before it is supply and demand. Your baby is more efficient than the pump ...I assume that your baby is getting enough,putting on weight, passing urine and bowels ok, settling in between feeds. How often are you feeding your baby?
I would do as kellytimestwo has suggested and possibly put you baby to the breast more and pump after but at a regular time every day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
uksammy
Pensioner
Pensioner

Female

PostSubject: Re: Running out of milk?   Thu May 24, 2007 7:02 am

Well both me and Craig were getting fed up because she was constantly wanting to be breastfed so I stopped expressing as I wasn't getting any anyway and as she was going to the breast so much I thought my boobs would get fuller...but no. So after some hard thinking and talking to people, I am now only breast feeding her in the morning and in the evening and when she wakes in the night. I give her about 5 bottles of 4 oz of formula between 9am and 8pm. She seems so much more content and I can get on with things during the day as I no I don't have to sit down and feed all the time. Especially with having Kerrie it was hard work. I just hope she is still benefitting from the breastfeeding I am doing. I am also able to get 4oz of expressed breastmilk during the day to put in the freezer for when we go out.

Do you think I am doing the right thing? I will get her weighed next week to make sure she is still putting on weight.
Back to top Go down
mumof4girls1boy
Infant
Infant

Female
Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2007-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Running out of milk?   Thu May 24, 2007 8:09 am

The choice is yours. She will still get the benefit of the breast milk, but I think you will find If you are giving 5 bottles of formula per day, your milk will soon dwindle that is if she does not decide she prefers the bottle.Keep up the evening and night feeds as that will help supply ...More of the hormone that helps milk lactation is produced at night.
Breast fed babies do feed on the whole every 2 hours , the reason for her being more settled is that the formula is filling her tummy up more which breast milk does not do as much.
You are the only person who can say if you are doing the right thing ,you know the situation at home, how it is affecting you and the family....so don't worry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kellytimestwo
child
child

Female
Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2006-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Running out of milk?   Thu May 24, 2007 3:55 pm

Iagree with mumof4girls1boy.

You will know if you are making the right decision. Any amount of breastmilk will benefit Aislyn. The formula takes longer for their little tummies to digest, that is why she is content longer. I can imagine having your hands full with Kerrie running around! I have already thought about when I have my second if I will be able to breastfeed again. It requires so much time and dedication. I guess we will wait and see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kaytee
Infant
Infant

Female
Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Running out of milk?   Sat May 26, 2007 11:26 am

hi, I am new here but wanted to let you know that breastfeeding her any is better then none. I wuld try to nurse her as often as you can. Breastfed babies do eat more like the others have said. If you are having troubles haveing to sit and nurse all the time, what about using a sling. then baby can nurse whenever she wants and you will have both hands free to do what you want
Back to top Go down
View user profile
loudun
Elder
Elder

Female
Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2007-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Running out of milk?   Sun May 27, 2007 1:51 am

I agree with what has been said, don't feel guilty that your not breastfeeding as much as you have to do whats right for you and your family.....xxxxx good luck hun....xxxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
uksammy
Pensioner
Pensioner

Female

PostSubject: Re: Running out of milk?   Mon May 28, 2007 5:13 am

I'm still breastfeeding at night and morning and I got her weighed on friday at 4 weeks old...she was 8lb 14.5oz! Born at 7lb 5oz...so she's on the right lines. Thing is now she is only having an ounce or 2 for most formula feeds, I give her about 5 bottles during the day...the daily guideline on the box says 4oz 6 times a day?
Back to top Go down
Kaytee
Infant
Infant

Female
Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Running out of milk?   Mon May 28, 2007 7:09 am

your baby will eat how much she wants and need to eat. Don't stress over it. That formula container does not know your baby. As long as she keeps gaining weight appropriately then you are doing fine. I am so glad to hear that you are stil lnursing morning and night. You are giving your baby such a wonderful gift.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Running out of milk?   

Back to top Go down

Running out of milk?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1