HomeHome  BabyTalk ExtraBabyTalk Extra  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

New breastfeeding laws

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rebecca-Jayne

Female
Number of posts : 2050
Registration date : 2006-08-09

PostSubject: New breastfeeding laws   Thu May 17, 2007 7:09 am

OK, well first thing that got me mad about this was the fact that it has to become a law that your not allowed to tell a woman to stop breastfeeding!! WTH! Its the most natural thing in the world, but has to be a law because ppl are offended with it! Sheesh, grow some goolies I say, how pathetic. The fact that ppl can not tell a woman to get out of their resturant or whatever it great news, but surely we should be able to do it anyway!!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Boxing absolutly stupiiiid

This is the article:

Ministers are considering new laws to give women a right to breastfeed their babies in public and take statutory breaks at work to suckle their infants.
The move follows research showing that only a minority of new mothers breastfeed their babies for the full six months recommended by the World Health Organisation.
It would become an offence for anyone to stop a woman from breastfeeding in public, a change that has already been enacted in Scotland.

Mothers accused of indecencyIt follows complaints from mothers that they have been accused of indecency and barred from breastfeeding when they have attempted to do so in public.
Employers would also have to allow mothers to take breaks each working day to breast feed. In France women with a baby under 12 months are entitled to two 30-minute breaks a day. In Italy, new mothers can take two one-hour rest periods.The proposals are central planks of a campaign by the five royal colleges of medicine, nursing and midwifery to which health minister Andy Burnham has signed up. He said he backed the campaign for a new policy on breast feeding in public and a new law on work breaks.According to official figures, only 21% of British women breastfeed for up to the recommended period of six months.

Last edited by on Thu May 17, 2007 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skorpy

Female
Number of posts : 1789
Registration date : 2006-08-08

PostSubject: Re: New breastfeeding laws   Thu May 17, 2007 7:15 am

Well this is my opionion,.. Yes it is the most natural thing and best for baby.I never myself breast fed,tbh Never even thought about pumps and such now that you can use otherwise I would have.The main reason I didn't was so that my Husband can share in feeding our baby.

To breast feed in public can be offensive too more people then you think..its natural yes,but there are also some people out their that doesn't like a woman openly showing her breasts in public.As you know Breast's are shown as a sexual thing also,in Magazines,newspapers,playboy etc.So yes offense can be taken even though it is too feed a child.

Am I making sense?

Female

PostSubject: Re: New breastfeeding laws   Thu May 17, 2007 11:51 am

Yes you make sense hun.

I think ppl are forgetting the main reason why women have breasts in the first place though. They are there to simply feed their children. They werent put there just so men could oogle them and women show them off in mags etc lol. I have never seen a woman who is breastfeeding openly get her boob out for all to see, its really discreet.

I always expressed so my partner could feed Aiden when he wanted.

What I dont get is this. Why is it frowned upon for a woman to breastfeed her baby in public, but hey ok for a woman to get her boobs out for the world to see in papers and mags? Just goes to show how society is today, and that its a crappy mans world.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
uksammy
Pensioner
Pensioner

Female
Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2006-09-01

PostSubject: Re: New breastfeeding laws   Fri May 18, 2007 6:40 am

Well I don't breastfeed in public cos I don't want to offend anyone but also because of these people I too feel embarrassed but I shouldn't! As long as u cover up u normally cant tell if they're feeding anyways. We should be encouraged to breastfeed as it's best for baby and Mum.

Some people make me so angry...I have to hide away even in my own home if we have guests cos im too embarrassed. I wish I just had the guts to do it out in public cos its hassle trying to find somewhere to feed her or give her expressed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/uksammy
kellytimestwo
child
child

Female
Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2006-11-22

PostSubject: Re: New breastfeeding laws   Sat May 19, 2007 3:42 pm

I have been breastfeeding for 8 months and have never even thought about doing it in public for the same reasons stated by Sammy and I too would feel embarassed. I have seen more boob from women wearing low cut shirts than I have from a mother feeding her child. I think it's great that they passed that law for the women who are brave enough in our society to BF in public. I don't think it will change the way the majority feel about it though. Like Skorpy said, in today's society breasts are viewed as purely sexual...I think that's sad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skorpy

Female

PostSubject: Re: New breastfeeding laws   Sat May 19, 2007 3:55 pm

yep very sad and like becky said.Womans breast are here too feed our babies. Always thought brest pumps were more hassel too be honest and heard some bad vibes about them,which is what put me off,..

Last edited by on Sun May 20, 2007 4:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://babytalk.megabb.com
Rebecca-Jayne

Female

PostSubject: Re: New breastfeeding laws   Sun May 20, 2007 3:53 am

lol my breast pump was crap, bloody thing leaked all over the place and yes, was more hassle than anything.

Aww lol i used to breastfeed Aiden anywhere, even with guests in the house, if they didnt like it I told them to go out the room, but they never did lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TracyD
Teenager
Teenager

Female
Number of posts : 269
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: New breastfeeding laws   Sun May 20, 2007 4:39 am

I never fed my babies i am afraid
had such a bad experience with my first it put me off
but at least these days there is lot and lots of help and support out there...
and if i had my time over i would definatly give it a go...

just think of all those bottles i would have not to had washed... 4 kids later...lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kellytimestwo
child
child

Female

PostSubject: Re: New breastfeeding laws   Sun May 20, 2007 4:47 pm

darkey wrote:

just think of all those bottles i would have not to had washed... 4 kids later...lol!

It is nice to just get up and latch her on. Most of the time I am still half asleep!

The pumps now are much better, at least mine is. I have the double pump where you can do both sides at the same time and it only takes me about ten minutes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mumof4girls1boy
Infant
Infant

Female
Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2007-05-23

PostSubject: Re: New breastfeeding laws   Wed May 23, 2007 12:43 pm

It is possible to breast feed your baby very discretely in public , there is no need why anyone should be embarrassed if that is the case.
But what does make me laugh is that it is ok to show page 3 to the public!!!!! Why I is that????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
skorpy

Female

PostSubject: Re: New breastfeeding laws   Wed May 23, 2007 1:47 pm

mumof4girls1boy wrote:
It is possible to breast feed your baby very discretely in public , there is no need why anyone should be embarrassed if that is the case.
But what does make me laugh is that it is ok to show page 3 to the public!!!!! Why I is that????

Very true LOL

Toddler
Toddler

Female
Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2007-05-16

PostSubject: Re: New breastfeeding laws   Wed May 23, 2007 8:17 pm

Its sad that it is that big of a problem that a law has to me made. As long as the mom is covered, as in whole breast hanging out, then it should not be a big deal. I never could because I am too shy for that but I have been with many who have and no one ever seemed to notice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kellytimestwo
child
child

Female

PostSubject: Re: New breastfeeding laws   Thu May 24, 2007 4:20 pm

Another big reason I couldn't nurse in public is because Gracie is easily distracted. One second she is nursing great and the next she will pop off and look around and just leave me all exposed!!!

Ohdear lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rebecca-Jayne

Female

PostSubject: Re: New breastfeeding laws   Fri May 25, 2007 12:28 am

haha lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
uksammy
Pensioner
Pensioner

Female
Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2006-09-01

PostSubject: Re: New breastfeeding laws   Fri May 25, 2007 2:23 am

kellytimestwo wrote:
Another big reason I couldn't nurse in public is because Gracie is easily distracted. One second she is nursing great and the next she will pop off and look around and just leave me all exposed!!!

Ohdear lol!

Same here and then I'd get everyone covered thats near me as it still shoots out and poor baby gets it in the eye ::lmao::
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/uksammy
Rebecca-Jayne

Female

PostSubject: Re: New breastfeeding laws   Fri May 25, 2007 4:42 am

ROFL!Too Funny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New breastfeeding laws